Roy Hodgson hopes John Terry is 'freed' of FA charge ~ iNewsGh

Wednesday 15 August 2012

Roy Hodgson hopes John Terry is 'freed' of FA charge

England manager Roy Hodgson says he hopes John Terry will be "freed" of his FA disciplinary charge.
Terry, 31, is alleged to have used "abusive and/or insulting words and/or behaviour" in the Premier League match between QPR and Chelsea on 23 October.
The Chelsea defender denied the charge and requested a personal hearing.
"John, hopefully, will be freed as he was freed in a court of law, and will carry on playing for England," said Hodgson.

"That's my hope. What will happen, I have no idea," he added.
Terry was cleared by Westminster Magistrates' Court of racially abusing Anton Ferdinand on 13 July, with Chief Magistrate Howard Riddle saying he had heard a great deal of evidence to show Mr Terry was not racist.

Two weeks later the Football Association charged the former England captain, citing an alleged "reference to the ethnic origin and/or colour and/or race of Ferdinand".
While the Magistrates' Court prosecution had to prove beyond reasonable doubt that Terry had used the words in an insulting manner, the FA operate "on the balance of possibilities".
Hodgson, who spoke on the eve of England's friendly with Italy, was initially careful of commenting on the case.
"I'm not prepared to discuss John," he said.
"It's a matter which is really, as far as I am concerned, working for the FA, sub judice.
"Everything I say can be misinterpreted - as far as I am concerned he has a case to answer with the FA and I'll wait and see what happens."
Hodgson wants to continue using Terry in the England set-up, but concedes any guilty verdict from the FA would raise issues.
"I thought John did well in the Euros and I'd like to keep using him, but this is a case which is way out of my hands. John understands that," he said.
"All I can do like many of his supporters, I suppose, is just hope he gets freed and can continue to play."


source: BBC

0 comments:

Leave your comment below

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Favorites More