Obinim: I made Guru's 'Lapaz Toyota' a hit! ~ iNewsGh

Monday 26 November 2012

Obinim: I made Guru's 'Lapaz Toyota' a hit!

Controversial self-styled Christian leader Bishop Daniel Obinim, best remembered for invading a radio station with a carpenter’s crowbar to assault some persons, is in the news again for another reason that has nothing to do with Christianity.

Bishop Obinim, leader of God’s Way Church, is claiming that he made circular music ‘Lapaz Toyota’, by hiplife artiste Guru, a mega-hit.

This revelation from a Christian leader comes as a shock, especially when ‘Lapaz Toyota’ was largely considered to have profane lyrics.

Bishop Obinim was recently shown on Metro TV telling his congregation that Guru sent him a copy of the ‘Lapaz Toyota’ CD for special prayers to be said over the song and that after the prayers, the song became a hit.

The Christian Bishop and his congregation were seen on TV singing the song right in the church auditorium.

Meanwhile, opinions remain divided on whether ‘Lapaz Toyota’ should be rated 18.

This follows claims that the song has some profane notes, with emphasis on a controversial and popular line somewhere in the lyrics which some music observers interpret to mean “Lick my d**k”.

However, Guru has raised objections, saying the song has got nothing profane in it and denied usage of profane words as “Lick my d**k.”

He spoke with NEWS-ONE in a previous interview: “I believe in people and how they feel comfortable with what they think and how they think like.

That word is not lick my d**k or hit man. No, no, no, it is far from that. Even the starting of the song, people have their own way of interpreting.

But the word is hikma, it is a hook. I got that idea from an old song. Hikma is a name.

“No, ‘Lapaz Toyota’ is not a profane song. I got this idea when I was driving around Lapaz. That was when I was planning for the new single after my ‘Mmaa Kuo’.

So I was trying to target the masses and targeting the masses is all about coming out with something that can build up to that line.

So I was driving around Lapaz, and I saw this well-dressed guy with the girlfriend seated by him in his car. They were kind of very happy but my only problem was the car.” “You don’t expect such a beautiful girl and well-dressed guy to be in such a car. So I realized oh ok….I was trying to understand the reason why they were happy.

So I realized, we should be content with whatever we have. If the car does not look so good, they are still ok with it. It is kind of a priceless thing but they cherish it. That motivated me to record the song.

Somewhere along the line, while recording the song, these whole ideas came up. ‘Lapaz Toyota’ is not referring to a lady, [but] rather appreciating something priceless,” he added.



Source: News One

Leave your comment below

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Favorites More