My Club: Lemar on Tottenham Hotspurs ~ iNewsGh

Saturday 22 September 2012

My Club: Lemar on Tottenham Hotspurs

SPUR OF THE MOMENT ... soul singer Lemar is a big Tottenham fan
SPUR OF THE MOMENT ... soul singer Lemar is a big Tottenham fan

THERE wasn’t much justice in Harry Redknapp’s sacking at Tottenham according to many fans — including celeb supporter Lemar.

The soul singer and former Fame Academy star was 50/50 over the decision to show Redknapp the door and replace him with Andre Villas-Boas, particularly after the young Portuguese flopped at rivals Chelsea.
But Lemar reckons it's not that easy for AVB and that Spurs fans must give him some time, as he explained in an exclusive interview with SunSport.
TB: Why do you support Totteham?
L: I was born and raised in Tottenham, I live about two minutes from the ground and my dad is a Spurs supporter so I grew into it.
Can you remember the first-ever game you went to?
As a kid, I didn’t really go to many Tottenham games – I went as an adult, really. I remember being invited to White Hart Lane after the whole TV thing. Glenn Hoddle was managing at the time. Sony wanted to sign me so invited me down and we had a meeting at White Hart Lane. We lost, but I got signed!
SOUL MEN ... GK: Ray Clemence RB: Chris Hughton CB: Steve Perryman CB: Ledley King LB: Gareth Bale RW: David Ginola CM: Paul Gascoigne CM: Glenn Hoddle LW: Chris Waddle FD: Jurgen Klinsmann FD: Clive Allen
SOUL MEN ... GK: Ray Clemence RB: Chris Hughton CB: Steve Perryman CB: Ledley King LB: Gareth Bale RW: David Ginola CM: Paul Gascoigne CM: Glenn Hoddle LW: Chris Waddle FD: Jurgen Klinsmann FD: Clive Allen
What was the best match you ever watched? Tottenham against Chelsea in the Carling Cup final at Wembley in 2008. I was there, took pictures and it was absolutely great. I didn’t think we were going to win so it was great. It was before it went really wrong for Juande Ramos.
Who is your all-time favourite player?
Gazza. He had a great spell at Tottenham. With UK players, we don’t have as much flair as European players. But Paul Gascoigne has that European/Argentine flair and was a British player. You could give the ball to him on the half-way line and he would make something happen.
BIG SHOES TO FILL ... Lemar says AVB must be given time at Spurs
BIG SHOES TO FILL ... Lemar says AVB must be given time at Spurs
Do you get down to the Lane much? I don’t because of schedules and I keep on getting cussed. My brother is an avid fan and says, “You’re Mr Celebrity, you can get all these hook-ups and can go to the Lane whenever you wish, but you’re always busy”. I try to go as often as I can.
All change at the Lane this summer with Andre Villas-Boas replacing Harry Redknapp. What are your thoughts on the situation?
My thoughts are: “Hmmm”. You have to give AVB some time. With the summer transfer window and who he’s bought and sold, there’s still a big question mark for me. When he was at Chelsea, I wasn’t really convinced. So when Harry suddenly left and we got AVB, I wasn’t too sure to be honest. But it’s still early days – we need to give the new players time to gel. We need to be top four again, hopefully three.
Were you disappointed that Harry Redknapp left?
I was gutted. He was extremely good for the team. Maybe we needed to sort out the situation in the team right at the front – that was the last bit of the puzzle. He motivated the team well. I didn’t think he was going to leave – I was genuinely shocked when he did. I don’t know what went on internally as something must have been happening as it came out of the blue. But hopefully it will work out – fingers crossed.
RAW DEAL ... Lemar was shocked when Harry Redknapp was sacked as Spurs manager
RAW DEAL ... Lemar was shocked when Harry Redknapp was sacked as Spurs manager
If there was one player you could buy, who would it be? Sergio Aguero. I like him. He’s a bit underrated and can make something happen out of the blue. He can grab the game by the scruff of the neck.
Have you ever been a decent footballer yourself?
I was reasonable and played out on the right-wing like Aaron Lennon. I wasn’t quite as fast, and I was never going to play for England but I was OK!
HERO ... Paul Gascoigne is Lemar's favourite-ever Tottenham player
HERO ... Paul Gascoigne is Lemar's favourite-ever Tottenham player
Are you mates with any footballers? I live in the same area as some of them. I see Jermaine Jenas sometimes and Bacary Sagna. I bump into them but I wouldn’t say we hang out. I’ve met Jermain Defoe once or twice, the same with Robin van Persie. They’re cool.
If you were the Tottenham chairman for one day, what would you do differently?
I would hold my breath on what AVB is about to do. But, had Harry still been in charge, I would have got everything by the scruff of the neck, raised what money needed to be raised to grab whoever Harry felt was the right name up front. That’s what needs to be done.

0 comments:

Leave your comment below

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Favorites More